The Ketchaoua Mosque: History with a capital H

art and culture
The Ketchaoua Mosque: History with a capital H

Located between the citadel and the harbour of Algiers, the Ketchaoua mosque has been built, rebuilt, converted and re-converted since the 15th century. It now reigns supreme over Algiers.

First built by the Rebai tribe in 1436 at the “Goat Plateau” water source from whence Ketchaoua takes its name, it was then enlarged around 1613 under the government of the Ottoman Regency. The building has collapsed twice. In 1794, it was rebuilt at the initiative of Hasan Pasha, inspired by Turkish mosques designed by Christian architects. When France conquered Algeria three decades later, the building was requisitioned and destroyed by decision of the French General Savary. It was rebuilt on a surface five times larger than the previous one and, in a mixture of Romanesque-Byzantine and Turkish-Arab styles, transformed into Saint Philip's Cathedral until 1962, the date of Algerian independence.

For several years, the Ketchaoua mosque has been the subject of consolidation and restoration work, entirely at the expense of the Turkish Agency for Cooperation and Coordination. Listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, along with all of the Kasbah, it is result of centuries of history lived by Algiers.

Ketchaoua Mosque
Place Ibn Badis, Casbah
16000 Alger

+213 21 43 80 60

ont.dz